Sunday, April 17, 2011

Foundry Gallery in April and May

I have three Key Bridge paintings hanging at the Foundry Gallery, near Dupont Circle. They will be up until the end of the month, when I aim to put up two or three new pieces based on the Ecuadorian coast for May. The Foundry Gallery is at 1314 18th Street, NW DC 20036. It's open Wednesdays through Sundays in the afternoon. (202) 463-0203. www.foundrygallery.org.

I won't be at the Foundry for First Friday on May 6, as I'll be working on a "Petrolandscapes" series of plein-air pieces in southern Louisiana. I never cease to be amazed by how petroleum has become such an integral part of our lives and landscapes. This is obvious almost everywhere at this point, from our transcontinental grids of pavement to the shockingly awesome metal birds roaming the skies. I have been especially struck on the extraction side of the equation by the juxtapositions I've witnessed among the machinery at work in the marshes and bayous of southern Louisiana and by the extraordinary scale and pace of activity occuring in the Ecuadorian Amazon. I have lots of family in southern Louisiana and my wife is from Ecuador, where I lived for five years. Depending on how this initial series of plein-air studies in Louisiana goes, you may be seeing a whole bunch more petrolandscapes from me in the months to come. My aim is that they will be beautiful, grounding, and thought-provoking. Maybe my work will spark some creative re-assessment of our petroleum-based reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment